Our Building Partners
We are grateful to be working to build the kitchen/cafeteria and school with a talented team of builders: architect Martin Hammer, engineer Henri Mannik, and builder Andy Mueller. They are all affiliated with Builders Without Borders (BWB), an international network of builders dedicated to natural and culturally-sensitive building. (On the right is a photo of Na Rive’s Program Director Lavarice Gaudin, flanked by very tall Henri on the left, and Martin on the right.)
Some of the reasons we chose to partner with this team from Builders Without Borders
1) They have experience in a variety of sustainable building systems, with successful experience in hurricane and earthquake resistant design and engineering, some of it in post-earthquake Haiti.
2) They have demonstrated respect for and understanding of Haitian culture, a commitment to working closely with our Haitian partners, and a keen sensitivity to the challenges and complexities of this project.
3) They are committed to employing local workers and expertise, providing jobs for Haitians.
4) They will use local building materials where possible, thereby supporting the Haitian economy.
5) Martin, Henri and Andy have all read about Father Gerry Jean-Juste’s life and read What If? Foundation founder, Margaret Trost’s book On That Day, Everybody Ate, and they are all as excited as we are about what we hope to build with our partners in Port-au-Prince!